Sunday, June 1, 2008

Love Hurts

On the subject of movies and books, I’d like to discuss another two novels I absolutely love. One has already been adapted into a movie recently, the other, I’m hoping will follow suit very soon. P.S. I Love You and Rosie Dunne.
P.S. I Love You is a total chick flick thanks to its sappiness and deep romance. I mean, your husband—who, by the way, seems to portray a realistic prince charming of every girl’s dreams—dies and you’re still in mourning and you find out he’s left you ‘a message from the beyond’. So late Gerry leaves his wife, Holly, ten letters to which she is only allowed to open one each month (making it a total of ten months, obviously). In each letter, he gives her instructions on what to do. I’m not talking about chore-like stuff, but things like: ‘Go to the karaoke bar and make up for the last time you made a fool of yourself’ or ‘Have a girls night out and go crazy’ or things that Holly has a harder time doing like ‘Take all my clothes and give it out to charity, don’t leave them lying around the cupboard’. It was just tears, tears and tears from the very beginning. Especially Gerry’s last letter. OMG. It just killed me. I can’t imagine going through the death of someone I love, moreover having them send me letters telling me to get over them. The title derives from how Gerry always writes a postscript at the end of every letter saying those three magical words any girl would love to hear.
Rosie Dunne is about this girl who has a best friend (Alex, I think his name is) that she’s known ever since they could barely talk. They went through kindergarten, primary, secondary and high school together and they were just planning to spend college together (in their own paths, but still together) when tragedy strikes. Rosie gets knocked up out of mere frustration and she parts ways with Alex. Basically, they have feelings for each other but neither would confess and they stay in the whole ‘friendship’ realm. They get married, lead their own different lives, occasionally crossing one another’s paths (like how Rosie became ‘Best Woman’ at Alex’s wedding as opposed to him having a best man). They live through years of denial and frustration without really coming into terms as to what they mean to one another. Only when they both turn fifty and they’ve pretty much got nowhere else to go, nothing more to achieve do they finally fall into each other’s arms. There is a reason why this story means a lot to me, but I’m not gonna elaborate here. I just think it’s touching though rather stupid that they have to wait ‘till they reach their middle-ages before they gain what they’ve long desired.
P.S. I Love You’s been adapted as a movie with the same title, starring Hillary Swank and Gerard Butler. I cried in the very first scene. Pathetic, I know. But it was beautiful, no doubt about that. For those of you who haven’t read the book or seen the movie, I suggest you do so. IMMEDIATELY. But for those who have nothing but a heart of stone (guys, men, any other person with overly large amounts of testosterone, this means YOU), this is not the book/movie for you. One thing that these books teach you is that love does hurt. Whether you have experienced it then lost it (like in the case of Holly) or you keep suppressing it, knowing exposure would only hurt you even more (i.e. Rosie), love hurts. But still, people choose to feel it.
Luv n all, ppl.

1 comment:

Erin a.k.a Rei said...

ehm.....dasar ya...blog ga pernah dirawat..sekalinya posting langsung banyak gitu...

btw...akankah kisah seorang "pus" berakhir seperti "rosie dunne"?ehm....